This is a simple and tasty Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower dish featuring three colorful layers of cauliflower.
Sorry it’s been a little quiet here lately. It’s been an extremely busy start to the year and there hasn’t been time to get another comic done. So instead, I’m sharing a recipe featuring our current food obsession: cauliflower. I recently discovered how well cauliflower works as a substitute for potatoes. So far I’ve successfully made mashed cauliflower, cauliflower tots, and cauliflower buffalo wings. I’ve even made cauliflower pizza dough!
Mr. P was a little unsure of all the cauliflower madness at first, but now he’s really embraced it and loves it as much as I do. I’ve seen so many different colorful varieties of cauliflower this year: purple, yellow, white and green, so I thought I would do a multi-colored mashed cauliflower.
I will note, that the green and purple cauliflower don’t get quite as creamy as the white one. When I made mashed cauliflower with just the white cauliflower it had a consistency almost identical to mashed potatoes and tasted really really similar. That’s not the case with this version, but it’s still very delicious.
- Repeat this for each of the three colors of cauliflower:
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 oz reduced fat cream cheese (you can also substitute with low fat sour cream)
- Cook cauliflower in boiling water until soft. Drain and remove cauliflower and pat dry. Place into a food processor and process until almost smooth. Add in Parmesan cheese and cream cheese and blend until texture becomes creamy and completely mashed. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Remove mashed cauliflower and repeat with other two colors.
- Dish out the cauliflower into clear glass cups. I did white first, then green, and finally purple. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.